What is a CN22?
A Customs Declaration, CN22, is a customs document (form) completed by you in order to declare to Customs authorities the content of your package (consignment), i.e. the nature of the goods (including a detailed description and value); their country of origin, and if known the customs tariff number (HS Code).
When is a Customs Declaration used?
If your goods are being transported outside of the European Union and have a value up to 270 Euro you must attach a signed and dated CN22. In the UK the Royal Mail set the value limit of using a CN22 to no more than £270 (GBP). If the value of the consignment is great than 270 Euro/British Pounds, then a Customs Declaration CN23 must be used instead.
Why do I need a Customs Declaration (CN22)?
The CN22 document informs Customs of the contents of your consignment and helps them to check for banned or restricted items. You MUST have a Customs Declaration to send goods outside of the European Union. If a declaration is not provided OR is completed incorrectly then there may be delays in processing, or even seizure of the goods, by Customs.
Where can I get a CN22?
You can get a CN22 template from:
Any UK Royal Mail Post Office branch will provide you with one, which you can complete it by hand; securely attach it to the front of your package and arrange postage.
Alternatively, download a FREE CN22 template here; fill-it in; print it; securely attach it to the front of your package and arrange postage.
Finally, if you have a regular need for CN22 completions, because you’re sending a number of packages internationally, then use an online solution such as www.edgedocs.com to help you generate paper and electronic versions; it’s 100% FREE for CN22 and CN23, and has multiple print options including printing CN22 on self-adhesive labels (6 per A4 sheet) and address label printing (14 per sheet). Couple this with the fact solutions like EdgeDocs saves your product(s) and client contact details, so next time it’s super simple and efficient to send repeat package requests – saving you time, and for FREE.
How do I complete a CN22?
Simple! Here’s a field-by-field guide to completing a CN22. If the package or consignment is worth £270 (GBP) or less (or 270 Euros or less) then completing a CN22 is the simplest way to make a Customs Declaration (CN22). This allows you to inform the Customs authorities on the content of your package and its nature/purpose, origin, value and if known the Customs Tariff (HS Code). Here’s a field-by-field guide to completing a CN22. There’s instruction on the back of the CN22, which you can follow to complete a CN22, however, in this guide we’ve decided to use the 100% FREE EdgeDocs application to help complete the CN22 in a step-by-step guide.
a) Create a New CN22 Document
Having signed-up and signed-in to the EdgeDocs application:
- Choose Documents > Logistics Documents to bring up the Logistics Documents dashboard
- Choose New Logistics Doc > Custom Declaration (CN22) to bring up a new CN22 data entry form
b) How to fill in a CN22 Form
With the CN22 data entry form visible, you have the ‘Help Text’ (On/Off) to guide you for each field entry, as well as the ‘Instructions show/hide’ for complete instructions.
- Document Date = Automatically set to today, which is supposed to be the date you are filling out the form
- Document Number = Optionally, add a number to uniquely identify the package or consignment to this CN22 note
- Document Currency = Automatically set to GBP – British Pounds Sterling, however, adjust accordingly; remember the CN22 value limit of 270 GBP/EUR
- Consignment Purpose = Mandatory, state what is the purpose of the content within the package being consigned; tick one that applies
- Article Details = For each article in the package (maximum of 3), provide 1 to 5 elements of detail by first clicking the Action Edit icon (pencil) on the right of the detail line, and provide:
- Article Id = Optional, add the stock item number (if previously used, the details will automatically populate; if not, then this entry will be saved for next time)
- Article Name = Optional, add the name of the stock item
- Article Description = Mandatory, add a brief description of the product (
- Quantity  = Mandatory, add the quality of this article/product item in the package
- Unit of Measure = Mandatory, select in what units of measure is the article/product sized/measured, by default it’s set to Cubic Centimetres – change to suit
- Weight (kg)  = Mandatory, enter the gross weight of the article/product item in kilograms. If less than a kilogram then state in fractions of a kilogram, e.g. 0.25 kg for 250 grams. Note this is the ‘gross’ weight of the article/product, which will be summed with any other article(s) or product(s) to create the Total Weight (kg)
- Value  = Mandatory, enter the value of the article/product in the specified currency e.g. 125 GBP (if necessary, set the FX Rate)
- HS/Customs Tariff Number or Commodity Code  = Optional, if known set the Custom Tariff for the article/product; there is a ‘help me find it’ link that guides you through discovering it or get in touch with email@example.com for assistance
- Country of Origin  = Optional, if known set the Country of Origin of the article/product (i.e. where the product was made and and its make-up originates from); as you type the country name a choice of countries will appear, select one and the two character country short code will automatically be displayed
- Invoice = Optional, if the package/consignment is for commercial purposes then adding a Commercial Invoice will expedite customs controls. There is an option to electronically create a Commercial Invoice within EdgeDocs and attach it to the CN22, or simply add your own. In either case getting a physically printed copy and attaching it to one side of the package is advisable
- Total Weight (kg)  = Mandatory, check that the automatically summed gross weight of the whole package in kilograms is correct (otherwise, adjust the weight of the individual article(s) or product(s))
- Total Value + Currency  = Mandatory, check that the automatically summed value of the whole package in a particular currency is correct (otherwise, adjust the value of the individual article(s) or product(s))
- Declaration = Mandatory, read the declaration and make sure you agree with it, then check that the Date of Declaration is correct, otherwise change to suit; click the Signature of Declarant box and either your preloaded digital version of your hand-signature appears, or you can select and upload a new one
- Click the [Save & Authorise] button, on the top left, once you’re satisfied that the CN22 completed; if a confirmation is requested, click [Save]
c) Printing a CN22 Form
Having created a CN22 (in EdgeDocs) and saved it, printing is very simple with a range of choices too. Follow these steps to print a CN22
- Find and open a previously saved CN22 or create a new one
- From the top of the CN22 form click [Generate PDF] button choose a print option:
- CN22 A4 plain paper – top left only = this generates a PDF of the CN22 form for printing on an A4 piece of paper, positioning the print-out it on the top left corner of the paper. Choose this option if you only want to print one CN22 form and don’t mind wasting the rest of the A4 blank sheet
- CN22 A4 6 x labels sheet – positioned = choose this option if you’ve A4 x 6 self-adhesive label sheets (such as Avery Parcel Labels) onto which you will print the CN22 form, because this option lets you choose where on the labelled sheet you wish to print the CN22 form. Choose this option if you only want to print one or many CN22 form(s) and want to print on 75 mm self-adhesive labels x 6 per A4 sheet – this prevents wasting blank sheets. This option also allows you to print just the data or the entire CN22 form (with background)
- Click [Generate Print Label PDF] and once the PDF is downloaded, simply open the PDF and print it to a local printer
Printing Sender and Receiver Address Labels from the CN22
Using EdgeDocs you can use the data from the CN22 to also generate + print Sender and Receiver labels, just follow the same instructs as to printing the CN22 form, however, in the [Generate PDF] button menu choose Sender or Receiver label printing options. Again you have choices to print on plain paper or on A4 sheets containing 14 self-adhesive labels each.
All this means with EdgeDocs you have a one-stop-shop for all your CN22 declaration and parcel label generation and printing needs.